top of page

Income Tax Filing for Individuals and Freelancers

Updated: Jan 26, 2022

The Internal Revenue Service considers freelancers to be self-employed, so if you earn income as a freelancer you must file your taxes as a business owner. While you can take additional deductions if you are self-employed, you'll also face additional taxes in the form of the self-employment tax

The income tax form that freelancers and consultants need to fill out and submit is either ITR-3 or ITR-4. ITR-3 applies to income from business or profession. From AY 2017-18 (FY 2016-17), professional can opt for presumptive taxation and declare 50% of their gross receipts as their income by filing ITR-4

Freelancing income comes into picture when you get hired to work on specific assignments for a specific term and get paid for the work upon completion and submission. You will not be an employee of the company or placed on their payroll. You will not get perks (like PF) mandated by the Company Act. You are not required to go to the office – in fact, you can complete the work at leisure (by pre-agreed deadline) from any place convenient to you.

10 views0 comments


Discover clics solution for the efficient marketer

More clics

Never miss an update

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page